November 30, 2010

Sunset at Tungabhadra Dam

The Tungabhadra River, formed by the confluence of Tunga and Bhadra, in the southern part of India flows from Karnataka to Andhra Pradesh. From then on, it joins as the chief tributary of the Krishna River.

The Tungabhadra Dam was constructed to harness the River water. What I like about dams is that they help with irrigation, farming, in producing hydroelectricity and I'm sure there are other uses that I am not aware of. It is amazing how water is stored so that there is enough during the summer months too.

The Tungabhadra Dam is near to the World Heritage Site, Hampi. It's storage capacity is 135 Tmcft, and in times of heavy rains, the Dam is said to be distributing an estimated quantity of 235 Tmcft, in other words... a huge amount! My mind could not fully comprehend the size of the water body. Water was filled to the brim as far as my eyes could see, right up to the horizon!

While strolling in the gardens at that height, I particularly liked the view of several species of birds flying past continously for hours together. I believe some of the birds are resident, others migratory.

I also stayed long enough to capture some sunset scenes.

Tungabhadra Dam in the distance....
on the left is nothing else but water as far as the eyes could see!



Sun setting in the waters


Shot through my sunglasses


Shimmering waters

~~~

Go view many more water shots at
Watery Wednesday

31 comments:

Gunilla said...

Great shots.
Fantastic reflections of the sunset.

Have a nice day

Dejemonos sorprender said...

Hi, gorgeous sunset! colors are very pleasant and warm.. and inthe last one silhouettes are great..

Marie said...

Gorgeous post! Thanks for sharing. A real contrast to our snowy icy and cold world right now.

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Molto bella la foto n°1... la nebbia ed in primo piano i fiori colorati.
Buona serata.
Myriam :)

EG CameraGirl said...

It looks like a HUGE dam! I very much like both photos of the sun setting over the water. How clever of you to shoot through your sunglasses.

Cecilia Artista said...

Gorgeous images!
I specially like the one you took through your sunglasses!

Rajesh said...

Amazing shots. The sunset and reflection in water is beautiful.

Kay L. Davies said...

Beautiful photos. I love the pink effect through your sunglasses!
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

janakidiary said...

I love the pink photo! And the silhouette leaves and trees, pretty :)

chitra said...

Celine, taking pic.thru' sunglasses was a great idea.Was wondering how you got the pink tinge.

Mridula said...

That pink sky looks glorious!

Unknown said...

the best ine was
SHOT THROUGH MY SUNGLASSES
:P

Hampi is a nice place to visit!
have been there long long ago!

Bhupesh

Savaari said...

Shot through my sunglasses: This is really wonderful picture.

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures, loved them!

Yoshi said...

It's a good idea to use sunglasses as a filter! I will give it a try if I have a chance.

P.N. Subramanian said...

The dam looks too large for me to imagine. The photographs are wonderful. I loved the last. Had you not stated about the pink tinge we would have been simply guessing.

p3chandan said...

Beautiful sights especially the sunset photos!

Randi said...

Stunning shots of a beautiful scenery- I love the "silvery" water.

Dimple said...

These are beautiful; I like the effect through your sunglasses, but my favorite is the shimmering waters.

Anonymous said...

bful

Margaret Gosden said...

Lovely landscapes, nice compositions!

Anonymous said...

These are magnificent shots! I like the effect that your sunglasses created.

NatureFootstep said...

you have pink glasses? Made a great shot. But I like the photo of the Dam and the last one with the leaves.

Clarissa said...

Gorgeous shots!Shimmering water shot is a favourite!

Anuradha Shankar said...

awesome!! almost every second post i have seen today is about hampi!

lizziviggi said...

Beautiful! I love the contrast of the powerful dam behind the delicate flowers.

Mike B. said...

Great shots. Those flowers have a nice view.

Arvind said...

Hello Celine..I must say these are Great pictures and locations ..!
I wish you visit in near future other major dams such as Amatti(nearby to Hospet),Srisailam & Nagarjunasagar which have equally scenic locations and hiking value.They are close by to Hyderabad and can be accessed in a day trip!

sameer said...

awesome pictures.....

Priyank said...

Very neat! Celine, your blog presentation has become prettier! :P

sandeep said...

nice pics - especially luved the last one. and a pink sunglass?