October 25, 2010

A Rural Experience



My World is a place where you show visitors to your blog the area around you and become their virtual tourist guide.
~~~

I was in Ajmer last month, and got an opportunity to spend some time in a few villages there. Gudi was one such village.

Greenery of Gudi

In Gudi, the villagers were seen working hard, whether it was with their agricultural jobs, or taking care of their simple homes and families. Others looked busy either milking a cow or tending to their fruits and vegetables garden.

Gourd Creeper

At the sight of freshly picked vegetables (perhaps botanically, fruits) I was tempted to taste the stuff.

Fresh vegetables and legumes

When told that it needed to be cooked, I grabbed the opportunity to cook it in an open air fire-place situated at the edge of a vegetable patch. The vegetable dish was bitter, but fresh, and I did end up eating quite a bit of it.

Fire made from lighting dry sticks

All along, there was a cute little fellow looking down at us from a nearby tree.

Curious parrot...

In addition to tasting a few more varieties of local delicacies, I also got a chance to enjoy some delicious home-made lassi (yoghurt) and dal baati (lentil soup with steamed balls of cereal) along with generous servings of ghee.

...and inquisitive neighbors

The residents of Gudi looked self-sufficient, and it made me feel their peaceful life in the village made them content, and healthy in mind and body. Look at the serenity on the face of this woman, who has quite a few grandchildren living with her!

Grandmom

It was good interacting with the village folks. Their simplicity and warm hospitality is a typical characteristic of rural values. It made me wonder if it is a good idea for us to switch to a simpler urban life. What do you think?

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour. I enjoyed it a lot. Have a lovely week.

Sylvia K said...

What a lovely tour and I do so agree about a simpler life!! Marvelous, interesting photos! Such a great experience you're enjoying! Thanks for sharing with us! Have a wonderful week!

Sylvia

Indrani said...

Nice pictures.
Village life is definitely charming, but then people seek luxury and not just comfort.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful view of rural sights. I have seen this sights very closely and certainly can admire.

SandyCarlson said...

Just amazing. Thank you for sharing such beauty.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely adventure! That grandma looks so young.

BraCom said...

Beautiful My World posting

Have a nice week,
Greetings, Bram

My Word Tuesday post

Seen on My World Tuesday

Reader Wil said...

Thanks for the tour and the virtual meal! Yes we should all live a simpler life and then I am sure we will be a lot healthier and happier!

magiceye said...

serenity and simplicity.. aah!
lovely!

eileeninmd said...

Thanks for the tour and sharing your photos and world. It looks like a wonderful place.

Anonymous said...

nice narration after reading i am planing 2 leave the concrete jungle 4 few day 2 calmness of shiradi ghats

giorno26 ¸¸.•*¨*•. said...

Hi :)
mi piace molto l'ultima foto con la donna indiana.
La signora la trovo molto bella nel suo tradizionale abito indiano !
Grazie della visita e del tuo commento.
Buona giornata :)
Myriam

Unknown said...

Nice photos. I think there is definitely something in rural values :)

lotusleaf said...

I have tasted that vegetable. Although it is bitter, it is good for health.Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Maurice Lauher said...

Great posting, thanks for the tour - I'm learning more about this planet Earth everyday.

Al said...

Fascinating post. Sometimes I think the same thing, but I have to admit that I like the benefits of life near a city.

jabblog said...

What a lovely tour - and yes, we could all strive to live a simpler life :-)

Martha Z said...

Beautiful photography and a great look at life in a part of the world that westerners rarely see.

NatureFootstep said...

thanks for sharing this experience. :)

Carol said...

How wonderful it would be to switch to a simpler life style! Your photos are beautiful, I enlarged every one. I loved this peek at your world.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

That's a lovely tour -- thanks for sharing. I love the idea of the open-air public fireplace near the farm fields. We just returned from a roadtrip in a van with limited cooking facilities. It was disappointing to have to pass by some farm produce and seafood because we had no way to cook it.

Ebie said...

The glow of the fire sticks is pretty!

I am a city girl, and I might want to experience rural life maybe for a week.

Jokingly, would there be internet for blogging? Hehehe...

Serline said...

Love the flame photo... like sashaying sari ;-)

Eden said...

What a beautiful place! I really enjoyed your beautiful photos.

Have a great day always.

Jenn said...

I think that I would like to eventually go back to a "simpler" life... but I'd need my comforts. Probably live in the province when I retire. somewhere the city is accessible to satisfy my modern comforts once in a while. :-)

Joe Todd said...

I went back as far as your Jahaz Mahal post and enjoyed them all.

Unknown said...

thanks for the mini tour of this wonderful place.

Jesson Balaoing said...

great post,... wonderful place...

Anuradha Shankar said...

Its always nice to get off the beaten track and spend some time in a simple village.. looks like you had fun!

indicaspecies said...

This is particulary in response to Ebie's comment:
I have lived in a village for years, and in cosmopolitan cities for more years, and thefore know exactly what it means to live in each environment.

If my post conveys my sentiments on the urban and rural life, they are solely mine. Each to his/her own.

While I have been on extended treks to the mountains, I have lived without internet or a telephone for weeks and been absolutely fine about it.

Jokes apart, perhaps you would like to know that internet facilities are available in many villages in India.

~

Thanks to each and everyone, for your kind words. Your feedback is always encouraged and greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day.

Nisha said...

Celine,


I agree with your reply. The two lives are different but I think the rural life is more satisfactory.

You've asked if it is a good idea for us to switch to a simpler urban life. I don't think an urban life can be made simpler... we'll have shift to a village.

sandeep said...

luvly shots, celine :)

indicaspecies said...

Nisha,
Thank you for dropping by and leaving behind your interesting point of view. It may not be easy to making urban life more simple, but for the time being, I am trying, and hope to relocate to a more simple kind of life in future.;)


Sandeep,
Thank you.:)